The Pride of Cyrano
Mar 23, 2021
Eric and Kirk go over a synopsis of this play, first staged in 1897 to immense adulation. Then they discuss the meaning of the love triangle, the larger-than-life character of Cyrano and the meaning of the play.
- Since 1897 there has been a variety of different projections of Cyrano’s looks. This is an important feature of the play. How ugly should Cyrano be?
- What is it that Roxanne falls in love with?
- Can a beautiful man also be bright and clever and witty?
- What role does Cyrano’s nose play?
- They analyze some specific passages in the play.
- They take a look at the spiritual/body dichotomy in the play.
- The role of “success” in Cyrano.
In the second half of the conversation, Eric, who is a Catholic, and Kirk have a debate about Pride and the meaning of Cyrano’s Pride.